Friday, March 26, 2010

Booting lucid beta1

I prepared one of my 4 GB USB pen drives with the lucid-beta1 image. For that I downloaded the latest beta1 image:

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta1

To make a bootable USB pen drive I used the free windows software Linux Live USB Creator. It has quite a colorful UI but it is easy to use.


  1. Insert your FAT foirmatted USB drive and choose it. ATTENTION! it will be deleted.
  2. Click ISO and choose your downloaded lucid image. It will later prompt you that it is an unsupported image but it will work anyway.
  3. I didn't use any persistent storage.
  4. I checked format the stick and unchecked the windows direct launch option as I don't need that.
  5. Hit the flash and it starts working
Now reboot with the stick inserted into USB and go into the bios by hitting F2 when the machine starts up again. Goto the boot options and disable these options: boot->boot_booster and boot->boot_settings->quiet_boot. In the boot drive options make the USB drive the first device. F10 to save and exit. Now the ubuntu boot manger should come up.

Very helpful was this thread on the ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1396074&page=4

No comments:

Post a Comment